Thursday, May 28, 2009

Finding the Center

One of the perks about being a member of NCTM (http://nctm.org, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) is that you get a subscription to a journal called, what else, Teaching Children Mathematics. This journal has a monthly feature called "Problem Solvers," which presents an open-ended problem and encourages teachers to try it with their classes. Teachers are then invited to write up their experiences and send 'em in. From time to time I've tried these problems out, and once I even got around to sending in my reflections.

Anyway, a recent Problem Solvers challenge caught my eye: How would you go about finding the geographic center of the United States (minus Alaska and Hawaii)? O-ho! I thought. This will be an interesting problem to do with all the grade levels I work with! But then field trips and special events got in the way, and so did division and fractions and 3-d geometry and other such valuable topics--so in the end I managed to do the problem only with a few 4th graders and a few 1st graders.

At some point I'll talk more about the 4th graders, who generally did quite well--they showed some sophisticated thinking about the assignment, and made use of a number of different mathematical skills to come up with an answer. This post, though, will be about the 1st graders, whose work was...um...

*************************************************

For the children , this was one of the easiest questions I'd asked all year. “It’s right here,” said one girl, touching the middle of the border between Kansas and Nebraska. The others nodded agreement and, not to be outdone, put their fingers on roughly the same spot themselves. That part of the Great Plains has never been so crowded.

This was a good estimate—a very good estimate, in fact, but I was looking for an explanation of how they'd figured it out too. When no clear explanation was forthcoming--in fact, when there was no explanation of any kind--I asked whether there were any tools they could use to show me what they were thinking. When I said tools I had in mind, oh, rulers, or some other kind of measuring device. They did not.

“A jackhammer?” suggested one boy.

"You could use a compass," said the girl who had made the initial estimate. "You would walk with the compass. You can start anywhere, like in California. Then you walk this way.” She put her finger near San Francisco and slid it eastward on the map. “When you get there, you stop.”

“How do you know when you’re there?” I asked.

She shrugged. “Because you’ll get to that place, and then you’ll be there.” She was too polite to say Duh!, but you could hear it all the same.

“What do the rest of you think?” I inquired. A chorus of “I agree”s and “Uh-huhs” rose from the other children. I believe this is called proof by intimidation.

I decided we'd better back up. “How about this table?” I asked. “Where’s its center? And how do you know?” Several hands slapped down in a place reasonably close to the center, if not the exact spot. The center, they explained, had to be in the middle of the lines that divided the table in half. Duh! Again, politeness reigned, but I knew what was what.

“So now we know about the center of the table,” I said. “I wonder if that might help us find the center of the country.” I opened up the map again. “What do you think?”

There was brief discussion. One child pointed out that the United States wasn’t a nice regular shape, such as a circle or a square, so it didn’t really have a center. Another argued that the whole world would have a center, “because that would be a sphere and then you could find the middle of it.” But they all deferred to a girl who cut to the chase. "The center would be right here," she said, stabbing a forefinger at a spot in the middle of Kansas, just south of the original place chosen. “That’s the center.”

Back we’d come to our starting point. “How do you know?” I asked once more, feeling like the twenty-first century version of a broken record and hoping she'd say something about lines that divided the country in half...

Nope. The child looked at me with something resembling pity. “You go up in a plane,” she said, “and then you can see where the center is and you go there.” Duh!

From which I conclude one or more of the following:

*First graders seriously underestimate the size of the country.
*First graders see no reason to calculate the exact position of a center when eyeballing it will do.
*Sometimes it’s really hard to explain your thinking, especially just before lunch on a Monday morning.

Oh well--onward!

P. S. If you'd like to know more about the geographic center, here's a rundown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_Center_of_the_Contiguous_United_States.

No comments:

Post a Comment