Tuesday, December 1, 2009

On Family Size

It's important to connect numbers with real-life situations. Which is why I had 4th graders tell "stories" about the multiplication expression 4 x 6 as a warmup for a lesson this week. By "stories," I hasten to say, I don't mean great literary efforts, with foreshadowing and metaphor and plot twists and poetic license and all those great things. No, I mean simple situations like these:

"There were 4 glasses and each glass had 6 ice cubes in it."

"There were 4 people and each one ate 6 hot dogs."

"I saw 4 flowers. Each flower had 6 petals."

You'll note that in each case the 4 [the first number in the expression] represents the number of groups, and the 6 [the second number in the expression] represents the number in each group. Of course, 4 x 6 is equal to 6 x 4, which all the children I was working with that day knew perfectly well; but it's useful to think of the first and second numbers each playing a slightly different role in the expression.

And we were progressing swimmingly until one boy said, "There were 4 families and each family had 6..." Then his voice trailed off, and he thought, and then he said, "I mean, there were SIX families, and each family had 4 people in it."

Real-life situations indeed. No prizes for guessing how many people there were in his family!

No comments:

Post a Comment