Monday, March 29, 2010

Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon...

So there I was in the kindergarten, and the children were showing me how well versed they had become in the shapes of the pattern blocks (thanks, Robbie and Bill!).

"This shape has three sides," said Robbie, holding a triangle so the kids couldn't see it, and the children chorused "It's a triangle!"

"This shape has four sides, and they are all equal," she continued, and "Square!" shouted the class.

"And this one has six sides..." "Hexagon!"

"Oh, oh!" called out a little guy upon seeing the shape displayed (and yes indeed, it WAS a hexagon--phew!). "I know another shape! It's LIKE the hexagon! It's a--a--" He screwed up his face, thinking hard... "It's an OXagon!"

All I can tell you is, I would dearly love to see an oxagon in the wild. Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment