Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spiiiiiiiiders

So there I am in the Pre-K, "just visiting" as they say on the Monopoly board, and the children are doing watercolors, and one child brings over her picture to show me.

"I painted a tabantula," she explains, her eyes as wide as a four-year-old's can get. Wider, if possible.

"A tabantula, huh?" I say. "Sounds mighty scary."

"It has eight legs," she says, and proceeds to count them, which she does very well (us Math Guys notice these kinds of things), and lo and behold, guess what, there ARE eight.

"Well, that's a good thing," I say, "because taban, I mean, taRANtulas are spiders, and spiders are supposed to have eight legs. Good for you for knowing that. I guess you're an expert on spiders."

She ignores this comment as the typical babbling of the Adult and points instead at a swirl of red paint. "That's the tabantula's head," she explains. "Do you want to know what that red is for?"

"Tell me," I say.

She leans in very close, stretches up, finds my ear, and stage whispers "IT'S BLOOD."

Can't wait for Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment