Monday, September 14, 2009

That's All She (w)Rote


You have 8 cubes, I say.

The child, a first grader, nods happily. He's just counted them, accurately, and showed me how you could split them up so that we each had the same number (4 apiece, if you were curious), and answered several other questions about them as well.

What if you had 8 cubes and I had 8 cubes too? I ask. How many would we have in all?

This isn't necessarily an easy question for six-year-olds, and they vary in their approaches--also in the speed with which they answer. 28, says the boy, just as automatically as you please. There's no lack of confidence here. (Not a lot of accuracy, either, but hey, it's still early in the year.)

28? I ask, just to make sure.

28, he says. No. I mean, um, 34. Yeah, 34.

34, I repeat, resisting the temptation to ask, Regis-style, whether this is his final answer. And how did you know?

Oh, I didn't know, he says with a grin. I guessed.

Okay, I say, and go on to do a few more activities with him. I wrap up with a nice open-ended question: What else do you know about math that you'd like to tell me?

Well, he says eagerly, one thing I know is that 8 plus 8 is 16...

SMACK! goes my hand (metaphorically at least) against the side of my head.

This little anecdote nicely illustrates the difference between knowing a fact and KNOWING it. This boy knew that 8+8 was 16, but he didn't KNOW it--that is, while he could repeat it, he couldn't use that information in a real-life context. His verbal knowledge isn't yet supported by his conceptual understanding.

There's nothing wrong with learning some kinds of things by rote. Indeed, sometimes it's necessary. It's just that you have to be careful with kids and not automatically assume they KNOW everything they know....if you know (KNOW?) what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment