Monday, November 9, 2009

If Left and Right Are Opposites, What About Remaining and Wrong?

"Look at the four cards I just gave you," I instructed the first graders I was working with today. We were warming up for some measurement work by reviewing some concepts from last month. "Look at the numbers on the cards. Show me an odd number...good job. Show me an even number...excellent! Which number is the least? Show me a number that's between 5 and 9." And on it went like that, culminating in the following exchange:

Me: "Okay, now find the greatest number. Put that card here in the middle of the table."

Children: [follow directions]

Me: "Now, look at the cards that you still have. Which is the greatest of the numbers that are left?"

One Child [looking back and forth at the three remaining cards, face up on the table]: "Which way is left, again?"

Oh, to have directional words that have just one meaning. That'd be great, right? (Wait...which way is right, again?)

No comments:

Post a Comment