Sunday, October 10, 2010

at10tion!

Yup, it's the day we've all been waiting for--at least, the day us Math Guys have all been waiting for: Ten Ten Ten, or 10/10/10. (As many of you Eager Readers no doubt know, 10 holds a special place in every math guy's heart. 2 1/2, 8, 92, 753.6, even 3.14159...., they all have their points (some of them even have decimal points (sorry)), but none of them can hold their own next to Ten.) However you write it, it's as decimal a day as it gets (well, okay, 10/10/1010, a thousand years ago this afternoon, was maybe a skoonch better, and there's something quite appealingly, I don't know, clean, about 10/10/10 back in 10 CE, not that anyone knew it WAS 10 CE at the time).

I had a distant relative who I met back in 1978 or so. She showed me her passport and called my attention to her birthdate. I know, I know, ladies of a certain age are not supposed to reveal their ages, but she was so pleased with the day she was born that she couldn't resist. It was, of course, 10/10/10--1910, that is. I promised not to do the subtraction necessary to calculate her age at the time. Here's to you, Cousin Lily.

So have a happy Ten Ten Ten. Ten cheers for this day, and long may it wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment